Friday 3 February 2023

Hello, and thanks for visiting my new blog. The fear of the blank page finally overcome (sort of), I've decided to start writing about a few of the things I really enjoy doing in my spare time. This is basically going to be an attempt to document my exploration of the birdlife of the Cotswolds and surrounding areas (where I live). It'll also aim to convey a bit of a sense of just how fantastic this part of the world is, and not just for birding. At its best, my contention is that the Cotswolds - and places like the Severn Estuary and the Forest of Dean - rival anywhere in the UK for awesome scenery, variety of habitats, diversity of wildlife, and really decent routes for hill-walking, running, and long distance hiking. I'm as big a fan of the Lake District, Snowdonia, the Brecon Beacons etc as anyone - but I think my part of the world can give any of those a run for their money. There's a lot more to this place than syrupy cottages, tweed jackets, Range Rovers and extortionately priced ice-creams - if you know where to look...

Expect accounts of trying and (mostly) failing to locate the most interesting bird species that turn up in these parts; some thoughts on the best places to go birding, and what you can see; where the best walking or running routes are to be had; and other loosely related topics. As you can tell, this is very much an emergent project, so who knows where it will go. I'll write this on the assumption that I will soon have many thousands of devoted readers across the world, and that those people simply won't be able to function properly unless there's a regular dose of content on here for them to consume. And if no-one reads it at all - well, I aim to enjoy writing it anyway! 

So - prepare to be convinced that this corner of England is right up there with the best of them. And specifically, I hope this will get across the interest and fun to be had by taking time out to notice our feathered friends. There's a lot more to see out there than woodpigeons (although there are a LOT of those, at least round my house!)

Let's begin....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coln Country Park aka Bowmoor SC

My family are all mad keen on dinghy sailing, which means many weekends are taken up with them racing or training at their club. Happily, th...